Calvary Chapel Bible Curriculum

As a follower of the Charlotte Mason method, we learn a lot from living books.  Even though the Bible is the most living book there is, it isn’t very realistic to read it straight through with young children.  I wanted my children to directly study the Bible in a chronological and comprehensive way, but I didn’t want to overburden them by tackling passages that were way over their heads.

Then I came across the Bible curriculum from Calvary Chapel that is free and available online.  It consists of 325 lessons from both the Old and New Testament.  I love having the Bible readings mapped out for me to use as a road map and the questions to guide narration.

Pros:

• It is extensive.  There are 325 lessons on both the Old and New Testament.  If used daily, this curriculum will last almost two school years.
  • It is accessible for young students.  It covers much more than just the well-known stories such as Noah and David and Goliath but doesn’t dwell on difficult passages of law, prophecies, and genealogies.
  • The Bible readings generally follow the order they are found in the Bible, so children become familiar with the chronology of Biblical history.
  • There is not a lot of commentary or interpretation. Children can learn to go directly to God’s Word without being told what it means.  As Charlotte Mason wrote:  “A word about the reading of the Bible. I think we make a mistake in burying the text under our endless comments and applications.”
  • It can be used with a broad age range of students.  My daughter is in first grade, and we do the readings together, but much older children could do this as independent work.
  • Each lesson includes a memory verse, two levels of question pages, coloring page, and two levels of word puzzle pages.
  • You can’t beat the price!

Cons:

• The lessons use the New King James Version, so filling in the blanks can sometimes be tricky if you’re using a different version.
  • The lessons covering the four gospels follow Jesus’ life chronologically, so there is quite a bit of jumping around from one gospel to another.
  • Some of the lessons have fairly long Bible readings (up to 3 chapters long) which are difficult for younger students to finish in one sitting.
  • There’s not a huge difference in the levels of question pages.

This curriculum is very flexible and can be used with all kinds of styles.  If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, straight-forward Bible curriculum, you might consider this resource for your family.

Come visit Beth, our newest writer, at her blog Apples and Jammies.

Brenda (132 Posts)

Brenda is a homeschooling mother of 5, who has a wonderful husband encouraging her to be the best woman that God has created her to be. Together they are very intentional about spending time together as a family. She considers her daily life with her children as her ministry and has found many avenues to encourage others to live a lifestyle of learning. She is the founder of an online homeschool community, Our Lifestyle of Learning and a curriculum review site authored by a group of well-known homeschool bloggers, Curriculum Choice. She blogs about their homeschool journey and family traditions at Tie That Binds Us.

{ 10 comments… add one }

• Kathy Wright June 2, 2010, 10:05 am

Thank you for the link. I’ve passed this along to our homeschooling support group here in Phoenix!

• angie moralez November 12, 2011, 5:26 pm

I was wondering if the lessons were still available?

• wandahicks November 27, 2011, 11:43 am

I really find the children curriculum very helpful

• Cristal in Texas December 3, 2011, 4:22 pm

This is a wonderful curriculum! I use it to teach Sunday school and love the flexibility yet thoroughness.
    Cristal in Texas´s last blog post ..If you’re settling for stagnant…

• Valerie Smith June 2, 2012, 4:16 pm

I love this curriculum. The lesson have everything that you need to teach sunday school, childrens church, vacation bible school. The lessons are the complete package.

• Stephanie November 11, 2012, 3:25 pm

My children are still preschoolers, so I found it difficult to find stuff for them. That is when I came across Calvary’s Curriculm. They have one for preschoolers, but it is only 52 lessons long. Sometimes I can use the story, presenting it in different ways, all week. Other times it may only last a day or two. Still, some of your points are similar to what I have seen. I’m glad to see others have enjoyed it as much as we have.

• Matt December 21, 2012, 3:03 pm

CalvaryCurriculum.com has just launched its NEW revised curriculum of “The Life of Jesus – The Gospels in Chronological Order.” There are over 95 Bible Studies in this series. We are still working on a few details but the bulk of it is online for FREE at http://www.calvarycurriculum.com/cc-childrens-curriculum.php. God bless! :)

• Louise Pesceone January 6, 2013, 12:09 am

I love the Curriculum lessons & so do the children! We can all learn from them. The lessons have been a real blessing. Especially When you have to have a lesson at the last minute. I printed up all the lessons for our small church & anyone can go to the file cabinet to pull out a lesson & print out copies. Thank you Calvery Chapel. God Bless you.

• peter Gachaga October 9, 2013, 10:33 am

the materials are of grea help to many of our children and help the teachers to teach well.

• Lindy March 9, 2014, 6:54 am

I really have loved using this curriculum to supplement our Bible lessons and have used it over the years. I was surprised to see the updates when I went to the site a while ago. I can’t seem to find my way around, nor can I find the OT lessons. Is it just me, or does anyone else struggle with the new format? I love websites to stay the same, sigh!