I have been a mom a very long time and I have to admit that I sometimes lack creative ideas for family activities. It is easy to get trapped into doing the same old things over and over. So when I saw Janet Lynn Phillips’ ebook on Pinterest, I was interested in taking a closer look at More Than A Movie: 50 Ideas for Fun and Frugal Family Nights.
In the introduction, Janet defines a family night as “a night intentionally set aside for the purpose of participating in a fun activity together.” This is something our family has always tried to do each week and I think it has greatly contributed to our family unity and fond memories. This ebook outlines fifty ways we can create the opportunity for family night without turning on the television or breaking the bank.
- 65 pages. Available for your Kindle and Nook too!
- The ideas are organized by category: Food, Fun, Thinking of Others, Out and About.
- Complete lists of materials needed, instructions, and then ideas to take the activity one step further.
- Reasonably priced for a resource you can use over several years-$5.99.
So which ideas are we going to try over the next few months with our teenage boys? Here is my short list that is recorded in my planner:
- Food: Pancake Parlor and Fancy Schmancy (fancy dinner with just the family)
- Fun: Family Time Capsule and Thankfulness List (done on adding machine tape)
- Thinking of Others: Traveling Car Wash (bless others by washing their cars)
- Out and About: ABC Photos and Dream Vacation Planning
Just reading this book has sparked in me a renewed desire to keep family fun nights as a part of our regular weekly routine. As my children grow and become busy with outside activities and travel, the more these family nights are going to bring us back together for some quality time together.
I look forward to more intentional time together having fun! Thanks Janet!
You can find Janet writing on her blog: Preparing the Soil.
I recently wrote an article on Tech-Free Family Nights which you might like to read and glean some more ideas from. You can download my Tech Free Night sign that I post on my refrigerator on nights we all agree to put away our electronics.
Now for the giveaway!
I have two (2) copies of More than a Movie to giveaway. Each ebook is valued at $5.99