Things I Like About Discovering Great Artists:
- The chart in the front shows the artist’s name, style, dates of lifetime, list of corresponding activities, and the level of difficulty
- Most activities give an example of a finished product
- Most materials we have on hand
- I love chapter 5 with examples of games and activities (Masters Scrapbook page 111 is a fabulous idea)
Things I Don’t Like About Discovering Great Artists
- I would have liked a list for each artist giving their major works so we could easily look them up. (See note below for a suggestion.)
- I wish the prints included in the book were in color for the children to look at and study
This book could easily be the basis for a whole year’s worth of art projects. They recommend the book for ages 4-12 but I would recommend it for ages 8-14. The art activities and the projects listed in the back will keep you busy. Bright Ideas For Learning website (publishers of the book) now has a page that links to each of the artist’s work! Click the link above to check it out! They also have art activity cards that you can print out from their website. These cards can be printed in color and they include an artist’s print, short biography of the artist, and an additional art activity.
This book would be a great inexpensive choice for starting out on your journey to get to know artists while having some fun activities to try.
Written by Barb-Harmony Art mom. She also blogs at http://www.harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/