Last year I noticed a blogger friend (Julie from Highhill Homeschool) had created a game called SPEED! It’s a card game that teaches skip counting from 2’s to 9’s. When I first read about SPEED!, I thought it would be too difficult for my son, but as they year went on, his ability to play games greatly increased, so I thought I would give it a shot!
Boy am I glad I did. SPEED! came in the mail and we started playing right away. You get 8 decks of cards in the box, one for each multiplication factor (2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, and 9s). The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards by building up or down counting by 2s (or whichever deck you are using).
My 5 year old son truly loves playing this game. He takes it when we visit grandparents and friends, and wants to teach anyone who will listen! What I also like is that I enjoy playing this game. While it is educational for students, it is fun regardless of your age!
Here is a little preview of the game, along with my son’s commentary =)
Who is SPEED! for?
- Elementary age children who are learning multiplication
- Older children who could benefit from solidifying their multiplication facts
- Classical Conversations families who have skip counting as part of their memory work
- Anyone who enjoys games and is looking for something new and fun!
My favorite things about SPEED!
- It is truly a fun game for all ages.
- It teaches without kids even realizing it!
- It comes with 8 separate decks of cards, which my son thinks is super fun =)
- It is of professional quality
- It is made by a fellow homeschool mom!
I know we will be enjoying SPEED! for many years to come and I completely recommend it to you as well!
Written by Amy Maze from Living and Learning at Home