Have you ever wanted to identify the bird that likes to perch right outside your kitchen window? Or better yet, to be able to say, “here comes our cardinal, he’s announcing his approach to the feeder,” just by hearing his call?
Our family’s love of birds has developed over the years. We’ve enjoyed studying and watching birds as well as creating a bird habitat in our own backyard. The Bird Song books have been a welcome addition to our learning as well. And now, we are blessed with Your Backyard from Crowe’s Nest Media.
This newly released DVD is produced by a family for families. We couldn’t wait to get our copy and hold a family viewing. A DVD “designed to glorify God the magnificent maker of birds.”
Hosted by siblings Taylor, Samuel and Grace. Taylor says,”Even if you can’t see the birds you can hear them all around – that’s what we hope to teach you today. To identify by sight and sound, some of the most common feeder birds.”
Professionally presented with gorgeous digital photography, the narration includes a wonderful bit of wit.
Animated Owl Professor Solomon offers even more information on each bird. (The animation was designed by Taylor and Samuel Crowe)
This DVD includes video and calls of the 18 common feeder birds. A graphic of each bird’s range is presented. Detailed information on birds is broken down into color categories. For example, birds of blue and gray coloring, brown coloring, etc.
When birds of blue or gray coloring are introduced, Taylor says, “just look at many of the bright shades of blue God gave the blue jay.” Animated Professor Solomon then flies to his branch and explains that “God designed the blue jay with special intelligence – alerting other feeder birds to danger.” The description of the blue jay is followed by the jay’s call. Repeated several times. Noisy, “Jay-Jay” sound plus the jay’s gurgle sounding call.
- Who is John James Audubon? Explains Audubon’s younger life and background as well as his travels around the United States collecting data on birds.
- Mr. Ralph Bell, 95 years young birding expert adds his expertise. “There was a king bird there. Did you hear that king bird?” Bird watchers come far and wide for the annual Ralph Bell bird walk. Viewers get to peek in his birding journals and watch him band birds (info he sends to the US Geological Survey) Samuel encourages, saying anytime you get to spend time with someone with birding knowledge like Mr. Bell, do it. It’s amazing what all you will learn!
- Tips on attracting birds with different types of seed, feeders
- Birdwatching – what it is all about, using binoculars
“God the maker designed the song sparrow to sing more than 20 tunes.” ~ Professor Solomon
- Bird Range Map Legend
- Professor Solomon’s Bird Quiz (eight-year-old only missed one!)
- Bird images and vocalizations
- Birds set to “Amazing Grace” (which we often turn on in early morning hours for two-year-old)
- Making Homemade Bird Suet
- Constructing a Suet Feeder
Barb-Harmony Art Mom reviewed this resource as well in her post Birding DVD Review
Enjoy this preview of Crowe’s Nest Media’s Your Backyard.
Ordering information Crowe’s Nest Media. The family is currently working on an accompanying coloring book.
Watch, listen, learn. Then head outside to your backyard!
-Tricia homeschools five children from preschool to middle school, mixing up a classical and Charlotte Mason style. You can find her facing that daily dose of chaos at Hodgepodge and sharing habits at Habits for a Happy Home.