I was browsing a local children’s consignment sale last spring when I came across this gem!
I picked it up and browsed through it and immediately knew it was all that I was looking for in a spelling curriculum.
What is Building Spelling Skills?
- A one year complete spelling curriculum divided into 30 week-long units.
- A systematic approach designed to teach your child 300 of the most commonly used words.
How the program works:
- Each week is divided into five lessons.
- Day 1 introduces a list of ten new spelling words and two bonus words.
- Day 2 focuses on visual memory activities.
- Day 3 focuses on word meaning and sentence dictation.
- Day 4 focuses on word study acitivities.
- Day 5 is the weekly spelling test and another chance to dictate the sentences written on day three.
- The book also includes a template for students to make their own spelling dictionaries in which they add to each week.
- Reproducible blank spelling test sheets are provided at the back of the book.
- An answer key is provided for instructors.
My opinion of Evan-Moor’s Building Spelling Skills:
This spelling curriculum has been everything I hoped it would be. My daughters have greatly excelled in their spelling abilities this year. Not only have they learned the words presented in this book, they’ve also learned how to figure out the spelling of other words.
The lessons are just long enough to keep them interested, but not long enough for them to become bored. It’s a great set up!
I love the way the lessons are already organized and set up for me. I only have to pull out the book and get started! That makes this super busy homeschool mom very happy.
At a retail price of $20.99, this is a program you should add to your curriculum wish list for the 2013-2014 school year!
~written by Heather, Upside Down Homeschooling