Although we are not a homeschool family that schools through the whole year, nature study is something we do as a family no matter what time of year it is. As I type, I’m looking at a whole basket of pinecones collected by my sweet, little, pre-pre-schooler, Sophia; my boys are carefully observing a little frog they caught; and to my left is a tiny tadpole we’re attempting to raise.
No, nature study is not something we take a break from during the summer. So naturally, I’m always looking for appealing books to help us out in our nature study to help spark my kids’ interest in all things outdoors. When I found my first “Take-Along Guide” at a used book store, I was interested so I purchased it. But it was later when I began really reading it that I became really interested.
These books are so perfect for any part of nature you are studying. They are available in almost any subject you can think of.
- Birds, Nests, and Eggs
- Berries, Nuts and Seeds
- Caterpillars, Bugs and Butterflies
- Frogs, Toads, and Turtles
- Rabbits, Squirrels and Chipmunks
- Tracks, Scats and Signs
- and More!
Although each book is a little different, here’s why I love them so much:
- Series available in pretty much every subject you’d want
- Each page is laid out very nicely with great illustrations and just enough text to keep an elementary student’s attention
- Very informative facts on all subject matter
- Each book includes several fun and simple projects
- Small enough to take with you on nature walks
- Great tips for nature walks throughout the books
I would recommend reading through your Take-Along Guide before taking off on your nature walk. Then you can put it in your bag and bring with you on your walk and use it to identify things as you go.
I highly recommend these books for all elementary students. They are terrific for inspiring you in your nature study!